Monday, September 9, 2013

Meet Me Monday's with DC Hall

Please welcome my next guest, a very good friend of mine, DC Hall:

***



1.      How has your journey in publishing been? Anything you would or wouldn’t do again?
a.       I worked on CUSPIAN for almost three years before releasing it. I had a difficult time with releasing it, and the fear of being judged. But after meeting a group of wonderful authors, I realized that it was time to release it and to move on to my next project. 

2.      What are you working on right now? Can you tell us about it?
a.       I’m currently working on the sequel to CUSPIAN. It ended with such a cliff-hanger that I figured I better get to writing before my audience stormed my home with pitchforks and torches. I’m also working on a dytopia young adult novel, and a contemporary romance. 

3.      What/Who inspired you to start writing?
a.       I write because my life is dull and I like plunging into a world that is interesting and exciting. Yup, I’m pretty boring. 

4.      How long have you been writing?
a.       Around three years. I’ve been seriously writing for the latter half of that. 

5. What advice would you give a new writer just starting out?
            If writing is your dream then write.every.single.day. Even when you don’t feel like it. It’ll be hard, sometimes very hard but still do it. Here is one of my favorite quotes about dreams.
“Most of us will not grow wings. To get above the clouds you will have to climb mountains. You will arrive to your destination battered, bruised, and exhausted. You better make sure your dream is worth it.” — Joseph Cook

6. Are you a pantser or a plotter?
            I do a bit of both. I start writing with a loose outline of what’s going to happen in the beginning and end, so my job is to find the middle. I usually go through a few drafts for plotting and storyline. I’m sure there is an easier way but this method works for me. At least I think it does. 

7. Who is your favorite author?
            I have a few authors that I adore so it’s hard to pick just one. BUT if I had to name just one I would say J.R. Ward. She’s a truly visionary author and hilarious person. A few honourable mentions would be G.R.R. Martin, Her Royal Highness Anne Rice, Karen Marie Moning, and Stephen King.

8. When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I considered myself a writer when I started sharing my work. Mind you, I had been writing for almost eight months before anyone read anything I was working on. It felt like a roller coaster ride. Terrifying and trilling at the same time. 

9. What is the hardest part about writing for you?
            Editing!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate it! I love weaving a story together but when you ask me to cut something...I just...sorry *grabs tissue* this is hard for me to talk about. *Cries*

10. Do you have a favorite character from your books? If so, why and who?
            Hmmmm. My favorite character would have to be Chancellor (Chance). He is the father of my two main characters and he is such a dark, twisted, hurt individual that it’s hard not to like him. In book one of my series he appears to be perfect but in book two you see his flaws. 

12. Do you do research for your books or does it all come from your head?
            I do a lot of research. TOO much. I finally realized I had a problem when I went to a Do-it-Yourself warehouse to look at a specific countertop that was in the kitchen. It was embarrassing because I actually purchased a sample title so I could go home to describe it perfectly. That line ended up on the editing room floor. *face palm*

13. What is your favorite colour? Hmmmm orange. 

14. What is your favorite food?
            Pizza! I love pizza so much that I have my characters eat it in one of my scenes. I was eating pizza as I was writing the scene. *Hey, don’t look at me with your judgey eyes*

15. What is your favorite smell?
            A book! I’m a proud book sniffer. (I hope that doesn’t sound as creepy as it is to type it.)

16. Do you have any strange habits?
            I don’t know if I have any strange habits...hmmmm I usually write after midnight. Does that count?

17. Where are you from? Do you still live there? If not, what do you miss about it?

18. Ebook or print? And why?
            Both, because I love the smell and feel of printed books and I love that I can carry my entire library in my iPad. 






No comments:

Post a Comment